Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Hoarders Card Edition


This weeks topic is Hoarding. A couple of weeks ago I went to place a new pack of cards into the cabinet where my collection is stored. I opened the cabinet and it literally took me 10 minutes to find an empty box to put them in. I closed the cabinet and started to walk away when it hit me. Do you really need 10x of a Wojtek Wolski base card? No.
      So I started to take the boxes out one by one and realize there are so many cards in sets I never even attempted and sets Ive completed. For example every season the Upper Deck series 1 & 2 hockey come out it is a must have for me. It has a nice mix of all the players, new rookies, inserts and its affordable. In the process of collecting sets such as the one above there is one thing that all card collectors face, doubles. Sometimes doubles can be a good thing because they can be used for trade bait for things you need later on. The problem is when the doubles become triples and quadruples.
   Looking through these sets I realized there were cards I just couldnt get rid of because they reminded me of the first pack I opened with my dad, a player that a friend and I met at a game or a Braves player I rooted for riding in the front seat of my granddads old truck. Those will always have a special place in my collection. Having said that roughly guessing there are around 50-60,000 cards in my collection.
    I decided its time for some of them to move on. Some of them started to find themselves on eBay, Some who where folded in half found their way to the garbage but then there are those cards who are in the middle who arent worth putting on eBay but you cant throw them away. I decided to start try and donate them to a childrens charity. I called the first 4 charities I could think of and they all pretty much said "No Thanks." I guess its better they did because a friend and I were talking who works for the Boys and Girls Club of Atlanta and she suggested I give my local office a call. I did and a day later recieved a phone call back saying they would love to have them. Now my collection is down to a slim 35-40,000 cards theres not alot of waste and it made a small child happy who hopefully will pay it back one day by doing the same as he or she keep the hobby I love going to the next generation.

These are some of the cards ready to send off to The Boys and Girls Club of Douglasville.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome of you to do that Kerry !!! You may have just encouraged me and others to do the same !!! Thanks

    ReplyDelete